Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Vignettes--I'm Crazy for Vignettes

This piece of furniture was made on the property of the house where I grew up.  For awhile the land changed hands and the bank owned it and I had this piece of furniture in my house.  When a member of our family bought the house back, I sent the piece back to the house.  It seems to belong there.  However, all the little pieces of junky bric-a-brac stayed with me!
 
 
I got these three penguins in a garden shop in CT.  The little one immediately fell over and broke his beak off.  I repaired it.

 The clock came out of my family home, the Bud Lite Year is from Goodwill.  Pottery from various sources, the black dripping pot is a piece of Catawba Indian pottery.  The 3 saints are from junk shops and have magnets underneath to attach to the car dashboard, I think.  The wooden bench was seatless and I used string to weave a seat onto it.  It has a matching chair and I got it from someplace that escapes me.
 Toys from Goodwill or Happy Meals at McDonalds.  Bear I sewed.  Chair is matching part to agove bench.  Old cameras from junk shops.
 Black-eyed moth I made.  Wooden Swedish doll from junk shop, as are fan and wooden Scandanavian troll.  Fungus from yard.
 Fertility figure is a whistle from Mexico trip, truck represents the one I'll never have but would love to own.
 Shell from great grandmother's house where she used it as a doorstop, alligator from Johnny Stowe, statue from my mother--I always thought it represented the blind boy of Pompeii and his dog.  Puss and boots from Happy Meal.


 Wooden burro from little shop in Virginia.  Mugs from good will.  Trolls from Goodwill.
Little round gourd has Chinese poem written on it.  Pictures of my children in ceramic frames that hang on Xmas tree.
 Polar bears from Goodwill.

I get all warm and fuzzy inside when I look at little groupings like this.  If I ever took up painting again, I think I would paint still lifes of these.  That at least gives me a reason to hang on to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment