Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Frog Eggs and Water Lilies and Visitors to the Pond

One day we looked in the pond and, lo and behold, frog eggs!!!!!  Although I have not seen many frog eggs in my time, I just knew that's what they were.  And I was right because shortly after----tadpoles!







I planted the waterlilies around April 14, 2015.  The Yellow one is a Charlotte Strawn and the little pink one is a Pink Beauty.  I got them about 1/2 price from a dealer online who was stopping their mailorder business.


And these are the tadpoles--hundreds upon hundreds!

A Carolina Green Anole, I think. 
 A zipper spider slaughtering a dragonfly.
A dragonfly that escaped the Zipper spider.
Hanging out on the horsetail reed.  All summer they swarmed around the pond doing elaborate zipping and diving and bending this way and that.  I don't know if it was a territorial display or a courtship dance.  Whatever it was, it was pretty acrobatic and amazing.



 This is perhaps the layer of the eggs.  An American Toad maybe?  I'm not a zoologist and have to look everything up and make my best guess.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment