Tuesday, December 22, 2015

The Treacherously, Tediously Slow Japanese Indigo Hexagon Quilt

 
 Mostly made from Goodwill men's dress shirts, it is a wannabe bed quilt.  IF (and that's a big if) I can carry on.  I figure it will take about a thousand of them to make a bed quilt.  Each hexagon has to be cut out of paper, pinned to a 3" (approximately) piece of fabric, basted on all six sides, then sewn one side at a time to another one.  So each hexagon has 6 sides which must be sewn to another hexagon's edge.  That's a lot of damn handsewing!!!!  It's meditative and relaxing, but slow as hell.  I do it when I don't need to think.  The Millefiore needs lots of concentration and designing and planning.  This one is just random.  It reminds me of a Scandinavian starry, cold winter night and Japanese boro (old field clothes that are worn and patched).  And that makes me happy!










 


Cut the templates (very carefully).  Hundreds and hundreds of templates!  Some people can reuse them, but I always end up messing them up so that they can't be used again.  It's a talent I seem to have perfected.
Then you pin them atop a square a bit bigger than the template.

You fold the fabric down over the template and sew each side, sticking your needle through the paper and I always take a double stitch on the corner/points.

Then you take two pieces and sew the side together.  I sew them into lines/rows of 14 and then sew the lines/rows together
 






Once all sides have another edge sewn to it, I cut the basting thread and pull out the papers.I like the random look of it.  I'm only using blues and taupes/creams.

So I always have to have several things going at once or I get bored.

No comments:

Post a Comment