Monday, June 25, 2012

Big History Quilt--Threshold 3: Making Chemical Elements

I've embroidered the symbol quilt for the 3rd threshold, Making Chemical Elements.  I might still add the letters for certain chemicals randomly around bigger symbol.  I had been dreading doing this block but it wasn't so bad.  I taped the paper image to the window with the light shining in behind it.  Then taped a piece of muslin on top of it and used a lead pencil to trace the image.  Easy peezie.

It's a wee bit wonky in spots, but live and learn.  It's a good idea to tape the fabric taunt to the window so the fabric doesn't shift.  I was a little chintzy on the tape.  If it shifts, it makes the lines a little off kilter.  It's also not a good idea to get too engrossed in a BBC mystery while doing this.  Especially while wearing reading glasses that have to be shifted every time you look up at the tv.

I rearranged my sewing area last night because I'd taken the little rolling cart kitchen island out of our kitchen.  It took up too much space and we were always having to move it to open cabinets or doors.  So it is now my cutting table.  The orignial cutting table is now the ironing table and the original ironing able is stacked with storage.  Including the shallow blue bookcase that used to be in the kitchen and a old key cabinet that I bought at a yardsale for $15 but now can't think what to store in all it's cubby holes.





The kids and I went to Wood Bay State Park Saturday night to meet a friend for a picnic.  We got there a little early so we tooled around and came across this house.  It reminds me of so many old, abandoned houses from my childhood. If I weren't scared of snakes and falling through rotted floors, I would have tried to get inside.







No comments:

Post a Comment