Sunday, April 24, 2016

Fig Cuttings Finally Send Out Roots! Well, Root Buttons!

Let me confess up front, this is my second go round with trying to root fig cuttings.  The first go was a bust as I had no patience or time for it and neglected them terribly! I also may have pitched them out to early as patience is not my strong suit.

That was probably about 5 years ago.  So this time, I carefully researched how to do it and watched a number of youtube videos and read some articles.  I bought some off ebay.  They seemed expensive to me--a few sticks (5 to be exact) for just around $18 including shipping.  Actually, I ordered 3 sticks of Italian Honey variety for around $13 including shipping. I decided to try a lasagna method following the guidelines of a youtuber's guidelines.  I cut them into 3 inch pieces and buried them loosely in peatmoss and kept them damp.  Nothing happened.

 A week or two later, after more researching about good varieties for my area, I ordered some more:  Violette de Bordeaux, Conadria, Alma, and Italian Black.  I got them in the mail around March 18.  I stuck them in a glass of water as things had gotten busy at work.  I put them in a sunny window and changed the water every day or so.  I kept th e peat moss damp in the clear shoe box where I had put the cut pieces of Italian Honey.  So one month later they plants in water have finally put out some little root buttons.  They all unfurled little leaves not long after I got them, but so far only the ones in water have gotten the little root bumps.
highly sophisticated rooting system!

non-working rooting system--at least so far


Root buttoms



No comments:

Post a Comment